The Writers’ Room of Boston is committed to supporting emerging local writers of limited means by providing a secure, accessible workspace with 24-hour access. We are proud to offer our Writers Fellowship Program, which gives four juried writers full access to the workspace for one year.
Awards are based upon the quality of the submitted writing sample, the project description, and the statement of need. Fellowships are available to writers at any stage in their career, published or unpublished, grad student, developing writer, or professional, so long as the writer is serious about their craft.
The Fellowships are awarded for any genre or form: fiction, poetry, memoir, biography, journalism, screenwriting, playwriting, young adult and children’s writing, graphic novel writing, traditional and experimental forms. Each year, we attempt to select excellent work across a range of genres, emphasizing diversity of technique and approach to writing among our fellows.
The following fellowships are offered. You do not need to specify a fellowship on your application–writers will automatically be considered for all appropriate fellowships, based on the proposed project and writing samples.
The Ivan Gold Fellowship
Open to writers creating exceptional work, at any stage of their career, in any genre or form.
The Gish Jen Fellowship for Emerging Writers
Open to writers with demonstrated talent and commitment at the beginning of their career, working in any form. Special consideration is given to members of underrepresented groups including (but not limited to) people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, older writers, and people with disabilities.
The Writers’ Room Fellowship for Emerging Writers
Two additional fellowships will be awarded to applicants working in any form.
Fellowship recipients receive full membership to The Writers’ Room of Boston for one year (March through February) at no cost. Membership includes 24-hour access to a secure and light-filled writing workspace in downtown Boston, along with all other amenities as listed on our home page.
Additionally, should fellows decide to become paying members after the conclusion of their fellowships, they will receive a 25% discount on membership fees for an additional twelve months.
In accepting fellowship, incoming fellows agree to the following commitments:
- Fellows will make frequent, active use of the room, spending no less that 20 hours per month working in the writing space.
- Fellows will contribute one blog post (~500 words) every month or every other month during their residency to the WROB blog. (the schedule will be worked out with the Program Director of the Room). These may be reflections about ongoing work, thoughts on the writing process, book reviews, or any other content appropriate to a blog about writing and the writing life.
- Fellows may also be requested to assist with WROB events and outreach. This could include (but is not limited to): assisting with outreach via social media (Twitter and Facebook), attending Open Houses, and providing support at special events (such as the Boston Book Festival or public readings).
- Fellows will make a good faith effort to attend public WROB events, particularly readings by WROB members.
- Fellows are encouraged to assist with the selection process for the next year’s fellowships.
- In the month following the end of their residency, fellows will attend and participate in a public reading of work they have completed during their fellowship.
To apply, the following materials must be submitted by January 15th (the date is the same every year):
- Fellowship application form
- Writing sample (no more than 20 pages of prose, double-spaced, or 10 poems, single-spaced).
- Project description (no more than 1 page describing the project to be undertaken during the one-year fellowship period).
- Statement of need (no more than 1 page describing your financial need. As space allows, you can also add why you need a place to write outside your home).
There is a $15 reading fee, which you may pay by check, money order, or online through PayPal. (See instructions for PayPal below). These materials may either be emailed (strongly preferred) or mailed (postmarked no later than January 15th, 2016) to:
The Writers’ Room of Boston, 111 State Street, 5th Floor, Boston MA 02109
Please note: Our standard membership dues are $100/month. Fellowships are intended for those who feel that they are unable, at this time, to afford this expense (as outlined in the Statement of Need). Those who are able to pay the standard dues are encouraged to apply for a regular membership.
To submit the reading fee via PayPal:
- Click on the red “Donate” button on any page of this website. (This will take you to PayPal).
- Enter $15 in the box at the top of the page. Click again.
- On the next page, log into your PayPal account with your email and password.
- Under the summary of your payment (“Purpose/Donation Amount/Total”) click on the link stating: “Add special instructions to the seller.”
- In the new comment box that appears, write your first and last name and “$15 fee for fellowship.”
- Click the yellow button at the bottom of the page– “Donate $15 USD Now”– to complete your payment.
- Thank you! We look forward to reading your application.
The WROB Fellowship Program is supported in part by a grant from the Boston Cultural Council, a local agency which is funded by the Massachusetts Cultural Council and administered by the Mayor’s Office of Arts and Culture.